London's Pulse: Medical Officer of Health reports 1848-1972

View report page

St James's 1893

[Report of the Medical Officer of Health for St James's, Westminster]

This page requires JavaScript

140
LITTLE PULTENEY STREET IMPROVEMENT.
In May, the "Round-House" Public House having been
pulled down and set back, as arranged with the Crown
Authorities some 10 years since, the widening of Little
Pulteney street was continued to Wardour Street, and the
Improvement which had been previously partly carried out,
completed.
GIVE AND TAKE LINE.
The building line of Nos. 47 to 53 Marshall Street being
very irregular, your Vestry took advantage of the rebuilding
of the premises to arrange a give and take line with the
owner, thereby greatly improving the footway for pedestrian
traffic.
REFUGE.
A Refuge, lighted with an 80 candle power "Lambeth"
lamp, has been placed in the centre of Piccadilly, nearly
opposite the Burlington Arcade.
ROYAL WEDDING.
On the occasion of the marriage of their Royal Highnesses
Prince George of Wales, K.G. and Princess " May " of Teck,
on the 6th of July, the refuges were removed from St.
James's Street for the decorations and the street sanded
for the Royal Processions.
#
FOUNTAIN.
An ornamental fountain was erected at Piccadilly Circus,
by private subscription, in memory of the late Earl
Shaftesbury.

Continued from previous page...

£s.d.
George Street31911
Haymarket762
Jermyn Street448
Pall Mall2461710½
Piccadilly8549
Regent Street218310½
St. James's Street052
Shaftesbury Avenue4318
Swallow Street4187
Wardour Street455
£1,66032
match: NOT MATCHED
..\LMA\Old LMA\b19956411\Tables\b19956411_0142_137_028.xml
RawTextStart: -1, RawTextEnd: -1

Diagnostics: Check ALTO | Check in player