Hints from the Health Department. Leaflet from the archive of the Society of Medical Officers of Health. Credit: Wellcome Collection, London
[Report of the Medical Officer of Health for Mitcham]
The Wandle Valley Joint Hospital, which is situate at Beddington
Corner, serves the Urban Districts of Beddington and
Wallington, Coulsdon and Purley, Merton and Morden, and Mitcham.
The Hospital was first opened at the beginning of March, 1899,
when 28 beds were provided, viz., 10 beds for Scarlet Fever cases,
10 beds for Diphtheria cases, 4 beds for Typhoid Fever cases, and
4 beds for doubtful cases.
In 1904 a contract was entered into by the Rural District
Council to considerably extend the accommodation, and in June,
1905, an additional Scarlet Fever pavilion for 22 beds was
The hand laundry was converted into a steam laundry, and an
additional dormitory was provided in the administrative block.
A further enlargement in 1910 included a cubicle block for 12
patients and also quarters for a resident medical officer.
Further accommodation was provided in 1922 by the erection
of another cubicle block for 16 beds.
The nominal number of beds now available is 78, but on many
occasions a larger number of patients are being treated.
Since the Hospital was opened 8,825 patients have been
The number of patients admitted last year, together with the number of deaths and the case mortality, is :—