London's Pulse: Medical Officer of Health reports 1848-1972

View report page

Willesden 1960

[Report of the Medical Officer of Health for Willesden]

This page requires JavaScript

Post-mortems were performed on 600 bodies, followed by an inquest in 103.
69 inquests were held on Willesden residents but only 16 of these were held in the Coroner's Court
attached to the mortuary. The remainder were held at Ealing.

Inquests held on Willesden residents

At Kilburn49251213121020172416
At Ealing262137246240613853
match: ALTO ComposedBlock
..\18 March 2013\Folder 16\b19797084\Tables\b19797084_0019_017_004.xml

The mortuary and viewing room were adequate when built many years ago, but now fall short of
modern requirements. The Public Health Committee gave much consideration to the improvements required,
and work was started in September and completed early in 1961. The improvements to the post-mortem
room included its extension, another table, a new covered-in concrete runway to the refrigerator room with
a glazed metal screen, redecorations and improved heating and lighting. The viewing room was made more
decorous and comfortable for relatives by bricking up three external and two internal windows, removing a
fanlight and providing a false ceiling, stripping out the redundant gas pipes, hacking off wall tiles
and replastering the walls, altering the door, providing curtains to the observation window and a skirting and
linoleum to the floor, and altering the lighting and redecorating.
Hawkers of food and premises used by them for storage accommodation must be registered by the
Council (section 11 of the Middlesex County Council Act, 1950). 12 licences have been issued to hawkers
(10 selling fruit and vegetables, 2 selling fish) There was one new licence issued in 1960.
There are now no common lodging houses in the district registered under section 237 of the Public
Health Act, 1936.
There are now no slaughterhouses in the district licensed under section 62 of the Food and Drugs
Act, 1955. Slaughtering was last carried out in the borough in 1939; one licence was, however, renewed
until 1955.
The Rag Flock and Other Filling Materials Act and Regulations, 1951, specify the standards of cleanliness
for the filling materials.
The premises of manufacturers of rag flock and those used for storing rag flock must be licensed.
One manufacturer of soft toys who employs outworkers only, uses premises for the storage of rag flock.
The premises of persons carrying on business of upholstering, stuffing, or lining of bedding, toys
and baby carriages, and others using materials specified in the Act, must be registered; a fee of £1 0s. Od. is
paid. There were two new registrations during the year and two premises were removed from the register.
The number of registered premises is now fifteen.
The Act does not cover the re-making of an article, and dirty materials may be used in upholstering
articles being repaired.
Five samples of filling material were taken during the year and they proved to be satisfactory.
The owners of pet shops must obtain an annual licence costing 10/-. The shops are inspected by
both Public Health Inspectors and Shops Act Inspectors; Public Health Inspectors inspect premises for size,
lighting, ventilation and cleanliness, and for the precautions taken for preventing spread of infectious diseases.
During 1960, 18 pet shops were licensed.

Diagnostics: Check ALTO | Check in player