"the Working Classes Acts for the improvement or reconstruction of insanitary areas, and to
"supervise the erection of houses for the working classes; and to deal with such other
"matters as may be referred to the Committee by the Council."
The dwellings controlled by the Committee comprise:—
(a) Goldington Buildings, Great College Street (56 flats).
(b) Flaxman Terrace Dwellings, Euston Road (84 flats and Caretaker's Lodge).
(c) Prospect Terrace Dwellings, Gray's Inn Road (71 flats).
(d) Una House, Prince of Wales Road (64 flats).
(e) The Brookfield Estate, Highgate (113 flats, 90 maisonettes and 2 houses).
(f) Somers Town Estate (142 flats), consisting of Aldenham House (26 flats),
Wolcot House (18 flats), Johnson House (26 flats), Gladwin House (18 flats),
Clarendon House (36 flats), and Morland House (18 flats).
(g) Barnes House, Camden Road (22 flats).
(h) 110, Leighton Road, Kentish Town.
(i) 13 and 15, Bayham Place, Camden Town.
(j) 15, Willes Road, Kentish Town.
(k) 24, Grafton Road, Kentish Town.
(/) 20 and 22, High Street and 3 and 5, Little King Street, Camden Town.
(m) 41 and 47, Stanhope Street, Regent's Park.
(n) 143, 145, 147, 149, 151, 153, 155, 157, 159 and 161, Great College Street,
(o) 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15, Georgiana Street, Camden Town.
(p) 67, 69 and 71, Pratt Street.
(q) 3, James Street, Camden Town.
(r) 207, Arlington Road.
(s) 43, 45, 47, 49, 51, 53 and 55, Leighton Road, and 2 and 2a, Lady Margaret
Road, Kentish Town (scheduled for demolition in connection with the
Leighton Road Housing Scheme).
(t) Oak House and Wellington House, East Finchley.
Preference is given to persons residing in the Borough when vacancies occur in the
Council's dwellings, and preferential consideration is given to applications where the housing
conditions are extremely bad, and in all cases persons with families receive first consideration.
During the past year there have been 76 changes of tenancies in the Council's properties.
"Barnes House," Camden Road.
This scheme was completed in January, 1932, and consists of 14 three-room flats, 7
four-room flats, and one six-room flat. The building, which embodies the Council's Tuberculosis
Dispensary and Maternity and Child Welfare Centre, has five shops on the ground floor
frontage in Camden Road, four of which are utilised by the Council's Electricity Department
as showrooms. It was named after Mr. Edmund Barnes, d.l., j.p., the first Mayor of the
Borough, who resided in Camden Road, and was opened by His Worship the Mayor, Sir
Alfred Davies, c.b.e., j.p., on the 24th February, 1932.