Libraries wishing to borrow books or request copies, should email the inter-library loans team at email@example.com and include as much information as possible about the item you need.
Please be aware:
- we operate as a library of last resort, so please try all other libraries before sending your request
- the inter-library loans service is available to libraries outside the London area only
- we do not send journal articles from electronic resources
- libraries within the UK must quote their British Library billing account number
- international libraries can pay with IFLA vouchers
- charges apply.
Restrictions on borrowing
All loans are for reading in the borrowing library only. We do not lend books for home reading, and we do not lend books to other libraries within the London area.
Some of our collections cannot be loaned, including:
- books that are in a fragile condition
- unpublished material
- rare material and items from special collections (including all pre-1900 books)
- any recently acquired material (within the last year)
- material that has been donated to the Wellcome Library.
The restrictions on copying/scanning also apply to inter-library loans.
Loan period and delivery
Loan periods are three weeks for UK institutions and six weeks for the rest of the world. Please return loans by recorded or tracked delivery.
Copy requests will be supplied by electronic delivery as standard. If you prefer a printed copy, please let us know.
| ||UK||Europe||Rest of the world
| Electronic delivery|| £9 excl. VAT || 1.5 IFLA voucher || 1.5 IFLA voucher
| Posted copy|| £11 excl. VAT|| 2 IFLA vouchers|| 2.5 IFLA vouchers
| Book loan|| £14 excl. VAT|| 3 IFLA vouchers || 3.5 IFLA vouchers
*VAT will be added to all UK charges through your British Library Billing Account Code.
183 Euston Road
London NW1 2BE, UK
T +44 (0)20 7611 8722
F +44 (0)20 7611 8369