Medieval and Early Modern manuscripts
Medical compendium compiled in the Westmorland area.
1. ff. 1r-28v The 'Boke of maschalse'
Incipit: 'The boke of marschalse here it schall begyn...Iff þat þou hafe stede folse to kepe...'
Explicit: 'Explicit per dominum Johannem Marshall vicarium sancti Michell de Appelby'
A treatise on horse breeding and veterinary medicine, with a verse prologue. The explicit refers to John Marshall, Vicar of St Michael, Appleby, Westmorland, fl. 1440-60.
2. ff. 29r-40v Herbal
Incipit: 'Ruw is hot and dry and dos goode to þe stomak...'
3. ff. 41r-58r Treatise on the sicknesses of women
Incipit: 'Here begynnys the sekenes off women whylk is callyd the moder. Also we salt understande þat women has lesse hete in þe body pan men...'
4. ff. 58v-61v Phlebotomy treatise
Incipit: 'Ffor blode lettynge. Seth þe authoritie of ypocras þe noble phisiciane...The vayne in þe myddest of the for hede serves for hede ache and for þe mygrayn...'
5. ff. 62r-67v Trotula, Tractatus de egritudinibus mulierum, adapted, in Latin with some English
Monica Green has identified this text as being an adaptation, in Latin with some lapses into English, of the Tractatus de egritudinibus mulierum, one of the constituent texts of the so-called "Trotula ensemble" (Monica Green, 'A Handlist of Latin and Vernacular Manuscripts of the so-called Trotula texts', Scriptorium 51 (1), 1997, pp 80-104. The beginning of the work is wanting.
6. ff. 68r-75v Collection of culinary recipes for meat, fish and vegetable dishes
Incipit: 'Hic incipit modus iusquendi qualiter cocus se habebit in coquinis circa cibaria diversa preparanda. Swan. To slee all maner of birdes to roste þame and to sause þame...'
7. ff. 76r-88v Recipes for drinks, salves, unguents, etc.
Incipit: 'Here may thou lere diverse manner off makyng of salves, drynkes, siropes, plasters, oyntementes, and gude entretes...'
8. ff. 89r-91v Tract on making aqua vitae
Incipit: 'Aqua vite and þe makyng þeroff. Take camphore...in distillatorio cum vino ponantur et ad lentum ignem distilles.'
9. f. 91v On the making of oils
Incipit: 'Her beginnys þe makyng off oylys. Oleum masticis ...'. The end of the work is wanting.
10. ff. 92r-95v Treatise on uroscopy. The beginning and end of the work are wanting.
11. ff. 96r-120v Recipe collection
Incipit: 'Ictericia. Item ad [?] mundificare cutem cum aceto albo tepido et decoctione capille veneris eupatorii et ordei ...'