Become a member of the Wellcome Library by applying for a three-year Library Card. Membership is free.
The Wellcome Library is free and open to anyone interested in the history of health and medicine. You can become a member by applying for a three-year Library Card. If you want to visit the Library for the day, without access to services, you may do so by signing the visitors' book.
Children under 16 are admitted only by exception and must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Young adults (16-17 year olds) with an interest in our collections can gain access by supplying a referral letter from their school or college along with the usual membership requirements (see below).
Becoming a member
On your first visit to the Library:
To save time, you can download a copy of the application form [PDF 72.8KB] and complete it in advance of your visit. Remember to bring it with you when you come.
New members can register online
Register online to get these selected membership privileges now:
- create and log in to your Library account
- request material from stores (books, archives, manuscripts, pictures, etc.) before your visit to save time
- view your requests
- save catalogue searches so you can re-run them
- receive weekly email alerts for new items based on your saved searches
- create and save your own lists of Library catalogue records
- view some types of content - including archives less than 100 years old and some clinical images - that require registration.
To register online, complete the online registration form. This service is for new Library members. When you visit the Library in person you can upgrade to full membership by showing two forms of ID and agreeing to our conditions of use.
We will ask to see two forms of identification when you join:
- a photo ID
- proof of address.
We accept these forms of ID:
|Personal identification|| Address
|Full passport ||UK, overseas or international driving licence (provided it shows your address)
|UK cheque guarantee card, credit card or debit card (provided it shows your photograph and/or signature) ||Council tax statement or payment book
|UK, overseas or international driving licence (provided it shows your photograph and/or signature)||Recent utility bill (gas, telephone or water bill)
|Official identification card from a recognised place of work or study (provided it includes a photograph and the name of your organisation/university, etc.)||Recent bank statement or credit card statement
State pension book
Benefit/family credit book
We will take your photograph using a Library camera and give you a photo ID card. You will need this to visit the Library and to access our online services, including ordering and printing.
Are you an existing Library member who needs to renew or update your membership? Please contact us to make changes to your membership.
Library Cards remain the property of the Library at all times. You need to bring your Card with you each time you visit the Library.
Please inform us if you:
- change your address (so that we can update your user record)
- lose your Card (so that it can be cancelled and a new one issued)
- forget your Card (you will need to apply for a day visitor's pass to gain access to the collections).